Happy Birthday Breck!

Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!

Saturday, May 23, 2009

130 dB

The other day, I was sitting on the couch working on the computer when out of no where a sippy cup came flying at my head. I saw it too late. But what I what I heard was...
I WANT MILK!

After I recovered from the throbbing pain on the side of my head, I turned to look at Lucy. My thought was to a) ask her for an apology b) explain that when we want things we need to use a nice voice, refrain from throwing things and ALWAYS use our manners (please and thank you's). But, as I turned to her she quite emphatically stated - Mom, I WANT milk! I gave her a look and without me saying anything she said i want milk? Then she proceeded to say mom, i want milk, please?

It made me laugh...Most kids will start at about 50 dB (the sound of normal conversation) asking mom, I want some milk please and then get louder each time they are not heard or are ignored. Not Lucy...she starts out at 130 dB (the sound of a jet engine at take-off) demanding only to get softer with each request, where she will end around 20-30 dB (the rustling of leave, a mosquito or a human whisper). But like always, we'll keep her. She keeps us laughing and on our toes...you never know when something is going to come flying at you out of no where.

Matt says we'll keep her because she is the first one to say Dadda when you ask "Who do you love more...momma or dadda?

3 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

Our children also come to us with similar emphatic demands that go unnoticed by mother and father until respectful requests are made. Good on ya for not whuppin' her after getting smacked in the head. Sadly, that would have been my first instinct.

Amy said...

Hey we have the same background!

hendywow said...

And we'd keep her anytime you nees a break! Where are you guys? I can never get you on the phone....

What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see